Author Topic: DB15 FDE  (Read 24495 times)

skyml

• Hatchling
DB15 FDE
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:49:32 AM »
Got my DB15 FDE on the 1st Oct and have fired it twice and put about 600 rds through it.  My back ground is I am retired Army, spent 8 years in special forces and was there when the M4 was first fielded to us. 
Had to send my DB15 back to DB after my last live fire... badly bent retaining pin (for the firing pin) and serious marring/damage to the outer edge of the buffer assy.
DB was awesome at responding to my issues and quick to get the firearm back to them to evaluate and repair.  Presently awaiting for my firearms evaluation/repair and return... will see how that goes.
Here is a short video from the last time (2nd) I fired it. 

MR_22

• Red Diamond
Re: DB15 FDE
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
I want one of those and am a fan of the FDE. One of my two DB9's is FDE. I like it a lot, but also covet the teal ones.

rogertc1

• Red Diamond
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »
Pretty county
I have more guns than you!!

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
Roswell, NM? I think I saw a wrecked alien craft in the background!  :main_whistling:

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
Ok, DB15 FDE is back...... turns out (according to DB/Taurus - appears Diamond Back is now aligned with Taurus for repairs and customer service?) the firearm was manufactured out of spec and had to be destroyed.

So, after a long delay, repeated phone calls (getting thru to customer support is tough to say the least) and much frustration I finally got a replacement weapon. 
Fired it once so far (about 240 rds).  Notable difference from the original flawed DB15 was my replacement came with a different stock (ATI Strikeforce), a different buffer and a flash hider that has an anodized gloss like finish (which I don't like).  The parts fit better and on the flawed DB15 the Safe/Fire Selector was very loose; the new DB15 this is not the case - fit and function is correct.  Trigger also feels less gritty but a tad heavy in the pull... will see if that changes over time.
Over all impressions so far, sad that my original DB15 was flawed.  Not impressed with the original delays at Diamond Backs customer service but they made that right in the end.  Initial feelings after only one short session on the range are good toward the replacement DB15 and the fit, finish, function and feel of the replacement DB15 hasn't (as of yet) failed my confidence in this firearm.  Not that it should matter, but the original DB15 I purchased came in a cheap cardboard box.  The replacement came in a nice DB labeled hard case, nice touch.
Ali was the rep who handled my replacement and was outstanding in getting the issue resolved. 

MR_22

• Red Diamond
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Wow. So, that's good, right?  :main_victory_ncc:

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »
Yes, so far all good!   :main_thumbup_ncc:

rogertc1

• Red Diamond
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:53:17 AM »
Kinda hard to screw up a AR 15 build...how can they make it out of spec.  BTW what did you pay for it? Taurus/DB charge for return shipping?

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
DB claims that all parts are machined in shop.... my understanding was the lower receiver was out of spec.  Was told the firearm had to be destroyed.  They replaced my AR with a new one at no expense to me which is excellent customer service. There was some delay but was attended to.  They even covered the shop with the FFL that the weapon had to be sent to.

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
12 July 2014....  Negative update.  Fired my replacement weapon once since receiving it.  Went out today and put about 120 rds thru it.  Was really puzzled because accuracy was way off.  Got home and cleaned the weapon later this evening only to discover the barrel is loose.  WTF!?!  Will be contacting diamondback first thing Monday morning.

rogertc1

• Red Diamond
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 05:15:10 AM »
Wow...the company is having issues. I have built several AR's and not really hard to do if you have just a few tools and a vice. I'd just find a gun smith you find and have him tighten the barrel. It shouldn't cost over $20.

Good luck.

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:51:42 AM »
So Diamond Back sent me a shipping label. Now I get another six or more weeks without my firearm for the second time now and the hassle of fighting the BS of getting it back to me.  Not happy!

corjamwel

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
Just thought I would chime in and share my very similar experience to the OP. I bought a DB15 FDE at a local gun store but realized there was a problem before I even shot it. The buffer was slamming the buffer retainer and leaving deep impressions which caught my attention. Upon further inspection I saw that when I was closing the upper on the lower the BCG was not pushing the buffer back at all so whenever I cycled the gun there was nothing to stop the buffer from hitting the retainer.

So, knowing the lower was most likely out of spec, I contacted Taurus customer service. The gun shop I bought it from wouldn't help me because I had the gun for a while sitting in my safe before I started messing around with it before taking it out to shoot it, so the local guns shop said I needed to deal with the manufacturer directly because of the time that had passed from when I originally bought it. Taurus customer service told me to send the rifle in, so I did; on my dime I might add.

Well, weeks go by and nothing is changing on the repair status page when I input my information and I don't hear anything new, so I decide to call. Similar to the OP's story, they tell me that the lower is out of spec and that they are going to destroy the rifle I sent back and send me a new one. I think, great, I am getting a new rifle and everything will be fine. Needless to say, I was wrong. Every time I called Taurus customer service seeing that the status hadn't changed, I got a different story. The second time I called after being told that they were sending me a new rifle, I am then told it is on back-order and it might be a few weeks. A few more weeks go by with nothing changing so I call again, this time I am told that they are sending me a new lower but repairing the rest of the gun and will include all of the repairs done in a repair work order that will be sent along with the gun. OK, fine, just send it... More weeks go by so I call AGAIN and this time I am told that they indeed are sending me a new rifle, but again, it is on back-order but if I want to I could choose a similar rifle (black) that is available and it would go out right away. I politely tell him no thanks I want the FDE version. More waiting, so I call yet another time; this time I get the back-order story again but the guy puts me on hold for a bit and when he comes back on he says I am in luck, they have a FDE rifle that they are going to send me along with Magpul MBUS's.

I removed what I previously wrote because of potentially wrong assumptions and incorrect assertions.

I now have the new rifle but have yet to shoot it. Will update after I have had an opportunity to fire it.

skyml

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »
It took 6 weeks and I got the weapon back.  It appears repaired, new barrel and the replaced the cheap anodized looking bircage for a standard but matching one. The also replaced the BCG for an M16 style one.  The serial number on the lower is the same. 

Haven't shot it.  Want to get it to a range with a bench so I can truly measure accuracy after this repair.  Will see if it holds.

Having some bad experiences is never good and having the manufacture make it right is key to keeping me a customer.  So far, Taurus is making up for what Diamond Back has failed miserably!  But lets see if this repair holds up.

corjamwel

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Unfortunately it was Taurus customer service I dealt with who sent me the used rifle. Everyone I spoke to on the phone was professional and polite, but sending me a used rifle was, well, unbelievable; and completely unacceptable! I was honestly shocked at what I saw and felt terribly insulted by it after 3 months of BS.

I hope they take care of me this time like they have you, but I am unfortunately a little jaded at this point in time and not very optimistic. I will post what happens in the thread.

Diamondback Firearms